Common Searches

Having access to consistent, reliable, high-quality, and affordable childcare is a known contributor to student parent success. Having access to childcare allows students parents to miss less class time, utilize campus resources, study without interruptions, and more! Check out the community childcare resources below. 

Triton Childcare Fund

The Triton Childcare Fund is available beginning in SPRING 2023. This fund is supported by the Department of Education Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) grant.

The Triton Childcare Fund can provide childcare subsidies* to be used at approved, licensed, and accredited childcare centers for eligible students enrolled in UMSL courses, internship/practicum/clinicals, and campus employment. We are also taking applications for students with school-aged children that have late afternoon or evening classes and need afterschool care. 

Eligible students must:

  • Be receiving the Pell Grant**
  • Be enrolled in the current semester at least half time
  • Be degree seeking
  • Be the parent or legal guardian of a child between the ages of six weeks and twelve years old

Apply for Summer 2024 HERE.

Apply for Fall 2024 HERE.

Funds are limited and will be awarded on a rolling basis until funds are depleted. 

In addition to your application, you will need:

  • An official course schedule
  • A copy of your Student Aid Report
  • A decision letter from Missouri Childcare Assistance (denial does NOT preclude you from receiving support from this fund)

If you have any questions or need help finding an approved childcare center, please reach out to Denise Speck, Program Coordinator, at specka@umsl.edu

*Subsidy is based on a sliding scale and paid directly to approved childcare providers. 

** If you are not using the Pell Grant but would otherwise be eligible for the Pell Grant, your application will be considered

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You must be a currently enrolled, degree seeking student

  • You must be Pell eligible (Pell eligibility is determined by completing the FAFSA

  • You must be the parent or legal guardian of a child(ren) ages 6 weeks to 12 years old

As a Triton Childcare Fund recipient, you will be required to:

• Complete required surveys by due dates

• Remain enrolled and actively attending classes

• Pay monthly co-payment to your childcare center

• Ensure child is attending the childcare center per your award agreement


  • Yes. If you meet the federal eligibility requirements for the Pell Grant, you may apply for the Triton Childcare Fund
  • By completing the FAFSA (Free application for Federal Aid) and then viewing your Student Aid Report (SAR). See below for information on how to apply for FAFSA and view your FAFSA/SAR Report.
  • Go to the https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa home page and click “Login.”

  • Login using your FSA ID (username and password)

  • Click on the “View or Print your SAR” option near the middle of the “My FAFSA” page and choose to save as a PDF file.

  • Save all pages of the SAR to your computer as a PDF file (typically 5-12 pages total)

For additional information, about viewing and printing your SAR please visit: https://studentaid.gov/help/view-sar OR https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/review-and-correct/review

  • The Triton Childcare Fund Application (online)
  • A copy of your UMSL Class schedule (Proof of enrollment)
  • A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR)
  • A copy of the approved/denied Childcare State Subsidy letter

• By attaching them to your application using the link

• By sending them to the CCAMPIS Coordinator at specka@umsl.edu

• By bringing your forms in person to the CCAMPIS Office
110 Clark Hall A3 | One University Boulevard | St. Louis, MO 63121-4400

  • The program coordinator will notify you using your campus email address. You will receive an award letter with the amount you have been awarded for the semester. It is your responsibility to provide a copy of this award letter to your approved childcare facility.
  • The awarded money is paid directly to the approved childcare center/extended care program/ summer program or school district. Students will not receive funds directly.
  • Funding is limited. We try to assist as many eligible students as we can. Award amounts are determined by your EFC, class schedule, and time spent in practicums, internships and clinicals. If you need additional funding, contact the program coordinator to discuss other possible resources that may be available to you.
  • Yes. One of the requirements of the Triton Childcare Fund is that you apply for either Missouri, Illinois State Childcare Subsidy, or military childcare assistance. This ensures that we are able to most effectively financially support you. If you are denied state assistance, this does not preclude you from the Triton Childcare Fund.
  • If you are receiving state assistance, the state assistance amount is applied to your childcare balance first and then the Triton Childcare Fund assists with the balance. Students will be fiscally responsible for the balance not covered by the state or Triton Childcare Fund.
  • Students are required to reapply each semester, but eligibility must be maintained and will be reviewed each semester
  • Students must have a current FAFSA
  • If you are not receiving state subsidy, we will require that you re-apply for state subsidy each semester

To participate in the Triton Childcare Fund program, childcare providers must be licensed and accredited.* Childcare center providers must also agree to participate in the program through a Memorandum of Understanding with the university and must complete all appropriate paperwork before funds can be awarded for use at that facility. The program coordinator will assist you in determining if your provider is eligible to participate and work 1:1 with the center on university paperwork. If you are not currently enrolled in a center, the program coordinator will help you locate centers that are approved and/or eligible.

*We will also work with a limited number of centers who are willing to begin or who are actively pursuing accreditation with completion by an agreed date.

If your current childcare center is determined ineligible to participate, we are not able to provide Triton Childcare Funding  for you to use at that center. And while we know that there are many factors that parents must consider when deciding where to place their children in childcare - cost, location, availability of space, familiarity of center/director/owner, history of multiple kids or family attendance, and religious affiliation - we are bound by legal guidelines of the federal funding.

We understand this could possibly put a student parent in a challenging situation. If you want to remain at your current center, we respect that decision. If you do want to consider finding a center that can be supported by Triton Childcare Funding, the program coordinator will help you to locate an alternative center.

Yes. The Triton Childcare Fund can be used to pay a one-time registration fee per child, each year. You will need to contact the program coordinator to discuss if other fees are eligible for Triton Childcare Funding.

Yes. Student parents enrolled in UMSL summer courses are eligible to apply for limited funding for summer care and summer camps for children attending approved programs

Community Child Care Resources

For support finding child care for young or school-aged children, you can:

You and your family may qualify for other child care subsidies, vouchers, or free child care programs. Some options in our community include:

  • State of Missouri Childcare Subsidy Program: You may be eligible to receive child care assistance through the State of Missouri Childcare Subsidy Program. Learn more about the program, who qualifies, and how to apply.
  • Head Start and Early Head Start: Head Start and Early Head Start programs provide free learning and development services to eligible low-income families with children ages birth to 5. Early Head Start and Head Start welcome children with disabilities. Some Early Head Start programs also provide prenatal services for pregnant women. Review the steps to apply for a Head Start program and use the Head Start Locator to find a Head Start program near your home. If you need more help to find a Head Start program near your home, call the Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (toll-free) at 1-866-763-6481 Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. ET or visit their Contact Us web page. 
  • Childcare Assistance for Military families: Child Care Aware ® of America provides information, resources and supports for military families and their children. More than 10,000 military children are served each year.