Entrepreneur of the Year Award
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you do with the nomination supporting materials that I provide?
- The supporting materials that you provide are the basis for selection. The material is also used to profile your company at the recognition event and in the follow-up issue to the event. You should NOT submit any materials that you do not want disclosed either verbally or in print.
How much financial information must we disclose?
- There is no need to disclose proprietary information. We are looking for some general benchmarks of financial growth and success. Percentages are often used. (e.g. "the company grew by over 200 percent in the last five years and expects sales to exceed $25 million in 2020.")
Why should our company participate in this awards program?
- The awards provide a significant public relations opportunity and let's your entire company share in your success. Honorees are profiled in the UMSL news, social media, and local, regional and/or national press. You can send out your own press release to interested media. You can post your honor on your company's web page and insert copies of articles in your sales kits. You will also have the opportunity to meet other successful entrepreneurs who are being honored.
Who does the judging and what are they looking for?
- The UMSL Accelerate Entrepreneurship of the Year Awards Committee conducts the judging. They are looking for a diverse group of honorees: by industry, organization, financial, academic, philanthropic, character, social, idea, product, service or process improvement. Our goal is to select a representative sample of entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs and advocates who are successful in our community.
What is the recognition event like? Who should attend?
- Approximate attendance is 250 people. The evening begins with a reception. A keynote speaker will set the tone for the evening. The honorees are introduced from the podium and recognized with an A/V presentation. Each honoree is offered one minute to speak to the audience. Honorees and nominee’s often invite colleagues, co-workers and/or family members.