BSW Undergraduate Studies
Advising & Courses
MSW Graduate Studies
Frequently Asked Questions
BHWET HRSA Grant
Field Instructor Information
Faculty and Staff
Diane Beckerle O'Brien
Lois Pierce (Dean)
Students and Alumni
Student Social Work Association
Current MSW Students see the MSW Information site under 'My Organizations' in MyGateway for important announcements and information about the MSW program and Field Education information.
Field education is an integral part of the MSW curriculum and provides valuable experience with the functions, responsibilities, and challenges of real-world social workers in our community. Students can choose from 400+ practicum locations in and around the St. Louis area, allowing for a whole range of training opportunities. Students are required to take three field education courses and one field education seminar as outlined below.
Before beginning the foundation field education experience, students must:
- have completed or be concurrently enrolled in all foundation coursework;
- attend two foundation practicum planning workshops the semester prior to beginning the foundation practicum;
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Foundation Practicum Courses
Graduate Field Practicum I (SW5800): A 300 hour/4 credit hour field education experience focused on generalist social work practice.
Foundation Field Seminar (SW5801): A 2 hour credit course completed in conjunction with SW5800.
Before being admitted into the specialization practicum, students must:
- pass the foundation practicum with a grade of 'S';
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0;
- attend a practicum planning workshop the semester prior to beginning the specialization field experience;
- seek placements within their specialization (Family Practice or Leadership and Social Change) in conjunction with their career goals.
Specialization Practicum Courses
Both specialization practicum courses are taken in conjunction with classroom specialization coursework.
Graduate Field Practicum II (SW6800): 300 hour/3 credit hour field experience
Graduate Field Practicum III (SW6850): 300 hour/3 credit hour field experience