Prepare to Pass with the #1 PHR/SPHR Cert Prep Tool
When & Where:
- Two-Day Sessions Start September 2, 2014 (13 class days | 5:30-8:20 PM) | UMSL, JC Penney Conference Center | Register Online
- One-Day Sessions Starts September 26, 2014 (7 class days | 9:00-4:00 PM) | UMSL, West County Location | Register Online
You have four ways to register:
- Online: Register Online
- Fax: Complete a Noncredit Registration Form and fax to (314) 516-6414.
- Mail: Complete a Noncredit Registration Form and mail to the address indicated.
- Call: (314) 516-6750 or TDD (314) 516-5961.
Make checks payable to: University of Missouri–St. Louis.
UMSL will match any competitor’s published fee for face-to-face PHR/SPHR course offerings in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Call (314) 516-6750 for details.
Who should take this course? Our Human Resource certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking the most sought-after HR certification as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®).
This intensive six-week program combines expert instruction with the SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge and stay on track as you prepare for the exam.
When you complete this course, you'll be prepared to pass the PHR or SPHR exam. Year after year, professionals who use the SHRM Learning System consistently beat the national pass rate.
When asked if certification was worth the cost and effort, HR professionals, on average, attributed a personal ROI of 253% to personal certification. Over one-third believed the benefits were worth more than five times the cost, suggesting an ROI of 476%!*
*"The Value of HR Certification Around the World," Independent research commissioned by the HR Certification Institute, 2010.
Advancing your career. For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist point of view, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core competencies and increase productivity.
New this year: Lectures, content and discussions will be available online to complement in-person class sessions. Recorded classes will be accessible the day after each class and will remain available until January 31, 2015. Discuss sessions with your peers, or study through information you may have missed for a more thorough understanding of each class.
Assess. Study. Discuss. Succeed. As an added advantage, we use the newly updated 2014 SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation. It features up-to-date content and advanced tools that streamline study time, accelerate learning and build confidence for passing the PHR or SPHR exam.
By attending our course, you'll benefit from:
- An experienced, certified instructor
- The SHRM Learning System, ranked the #1 certification prep tool
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers
- Tuition reimbursement* and 3.5 CEUs
This course is offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). The course investment includes all course materials, but does not cover registration for the PHR or SPHR examinations.
*Tap into tuition reimbursement. Now is the best time to secure your future through training – and your employer can help. If your company offers tuition reimbursement, you can expand your HR knowledge, skills, and credentials and have your employer pay the bill!
The most up-to-date learning modules. SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation includes six modules covering the entire HR Certification Institute body of knowledge, so you'll learn everything you need for the PHR or SPHR exam. Modules were updated to reflect the new HR practice and legislation in the HR Certification Institute's body of knowledge.
You can take either Two-Day or One-Day sessions. The One-Day sessions are from 9:00-4:00 PM.
- Introduction/Overview | September 2, 2014 (For the Two-Day Sessions Only)
- Business Management and Strategy | Two-Day (September 23 & 25, 2014) or One-Day (September 26, 2014)
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Strategic planning process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
- Workforce Planning and Employment | Two-Day (October 7 & 9, 2014) or One-Day (October 10, 2014)
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
- Human Resource Development | Two-Day (October 21 & 23, 2014) or One-Day (October 24, 2014)
- Organizational development initiatives
- Adult learning and motivation
- Training and development
- Talent and performance management
- Compensation and Benefits | Two-Day (November 4 & 6, 2014) or One-Day (November 7, 2014)
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (Government mandated, deferred comp plans, health care, and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
- Employee and Labor Relations | Two-Day (November 18 & 20, 2014) or One-Day (November 21, 2014)
- Employee and labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
- Risk Management | Two- Day (December 2 & 4, 2014) or One-Day (December 5, 2014)
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk management legislation
- Final Questions or Review | December 8, 2014 | 5:30-9:00 PMl
All sessions are located in the J.C. Penney Conference Center at UMSL and run from 5:30-8:20 PM. Students must use the most recent edition of the SHRM® educational products for this course, and are strongly advised not to use outdated materials.
More ways to learn.
Whatever your learning style, you'll find ways to test your knowledge and build confidence. Use the interactive case study, featuring real-life scenarios and questions, to apply your knowledge. And, checkout the Online Learning Center for a wealth of supplemental study materials:
- Quickstarts – guided overviews for each module highlight key topics
- Assessment – identifies topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention
- Tests – more than 1,000 questions for continually testing knowledge and comprehension
- Post-test – weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute
- Online Resource Center – includes downloadable audio and webcasts, flashcards (printed, online or audio), HR updates, related links, feedback feature, and more
Best of all, you can access the SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation via your PC, laptop, mobile device, or e-reader, making it easy to study wherever and whenever you have time.
HR Certification Institute Testing.
The HR Certification Institute now requires HR professionals sitting for the PHR or SPHR exams to have a combination of demonstrated work experience and education. Visit www.hrci.org for more details.
Certificate & CEUs.
Attend and actively participate in all six sessions, meeting SHRM's prescribed requirements, and you will be awarded 3.5 continuing education units and a noncredit Chancellor's Certificate from UMSL, as well as a SHRM certificate of completion.
"HR Certification strengthens resumes, increases and refreshes knowledge of HR practices, and helps HR professionals demonstrate their commitment to the profession."*
Jim Clarkson, MA, SPHR, has built his career in human resource development, organizational development, career management, training, and executive coaching, serving as an internal consultant with Westinghouse Electric and Public Service Company of Oklahoma, and as an external HRD consultant to the Boeing Leadership Center, Edward Jones, Ingersoll-Rand, and other large and smaller organizations.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 250,000 members in over 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession.
The SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation provides HR professionals with more content, tests, learning tools, and access to expert advice than any other PHR/SPHR exam preparation program. Printed materials are updated annually and online study tools are portable and convenient, with access to online tests, flashcards, and resources via iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile, or Google Android.
Cancellation Policy for Noncredit Business Administration Programs
The University reserves the right to cancel any program. In the event of cancellation, you will be notified immediately, and all program fees will be returned. If you must cancel the registration, you are entitled to a full refund only if you cancel two weeks prior to the first class.