African-American Nurses’ History Conference
When: February 27, 2015 | 8:00-4:00 PM
Where: Renaissance Airport Hotel
The College of Nursing at the University of Missouri–St. Louis is proud to present the 8th Annual African-American Nurses’ History Conference on February 27, 2015. This year‘s conference theme is "Leading the Charge for Making Healthier Communities," and will focus on health disparities involved with diseases such as: Cancer (Breast, Colon, and Prostate), HIV/AIDS, Obesity, Mental Health, and increase awareness on the initiatives in the St. Louis Metropolitan area that are being implemented and found to have a positive impact on the African-American community. In addition to having sessions on these disparities, there will also be free health care screenings for these illnesses.
- Blood Pressure
- Mental Health
Mammograms are by appointment only; Mercy Breast Center Mammography Van is on site to provide mammograms from 9:00-3:00 PM. Please call (314) 251-5678 and mention the conference.
This conference is for nurses and other professionals in the field of health care, future nurses, and high school students. It is especially for those people in the community who are interested in “Initiatives that are Bridging the Gap” in addressing health care disparities, health care equity, and health care promotion.
The Conference Will:
- Increase awareness of initiatives that are bridging the gap and resolving issues related to health disparities throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area, with a colloaboration among community health and health care sites/agencies, community-based organizations and faith-based organizations.
- Promote and initiate local and state efforts that are committed to the advancement of health equity and networking opportunities.
- Convene a diverse group of service providers and seek to initiate interdisciplinary thinking on ways in which successful (service delivery) models of care are bridging the gap to address health care disparities, equity and promotion.
- Elsevier Publishing
- Goldfarb School of Nursing
- Mercy St. Louis Healthcare
- Missouri Foundation of Health
- Missouri Office of Minority Health
- Sigma Theta International-Nu Chi Chapter
- SSM Health Care
- St. Louis Children's Hospital
- UMSL College of Nursing
- UMSL School of Professional & Continuing Studies
- 8–8:45 AM | Registration and Continental Breakfast, Lobby
- 8 AM–3:30 PM | Exhibitors & Health Screenings
- 8:35–9:10 AM | Welcome & Intro of Mistress of Ceremony
- 9:15–10:05 AM | Morning Keynote Speaker
- 10:15–11:05 AM |Concurrent Session I
- 11:05–11:50 AM | Exhibitor Hall
- 12–1 PM | Lunch
- 1:10–2:05 PM | Concurrent Session II
- 2:25–3:20 PM | Afternoon Keynote Speaker
- 3:25–3:50 PM | Closing Remarks
- 3:50– 4 PM | Wrap Up & Evaluation
Continental breakfast and lunch are included. Space is limited, so register early.
You can only register one person through online registration. If you are registering High School Students or a group of people and paying with one check or credit card, please print out the registration form, complete it for each person, and mail or fax it with payment to Mattie Lewis.
- Register Online (coming soon!)
- By Mail or Fax: Download the Registration Form and mail to Beverly Wolfinbarger, University of Missouri–St. Louis, Continuing Education, 302 J.C. Penney Conference Center, One University Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63121
- By Phone: Call (314) 516-7454. MasterCard, Visa, or Discover number must be given to assure registration.
- By TDD: Call (314) 516-5961
Make checks payable to the University of Missouri–St. Louis
Guest rooms are available at the Renaissance Airport Hotel St. Louis for $79 per night. Call (314) 429-1100 for reservations and mention this conference to receive the discounted rate.