Virgil Sapp Scholarship
Through the Virgil N. Sapp Scholarship Fund, partial financial assistance is available to persons enrolling in credit courses administered through the School of Professional & Continuing Studies. Scholarship guidelines and application are available by clicking the links below or by calling (314) 516-5915.
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Spring Semester (including Winter Intersession): December 1
- Summer Session: May 1
- The applicant must be a degree-seeking student enrolling in an UMSL undergraduate or graduate level credit course offered by the School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS), or
- The applicant is full-time (75% FTE or more) support staff for PCS or for one of the University of Missouri Extension Centers (St. Louis, Jefferson and St. Charles counties). These applicants may enroll in any graduate or undergraduate level course offered by UMSL.
- If enrolling at UMSL for the first time, the applicant must meet campus and departmental admission standards and demonstrate promise of academic success through the submission of two letters of recommendation (in the case of PCS or UM Extension Center staff, one of the letters must be from his/her direct supervisor or center director).
- If re-enrolling at UMSL, the applicant must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5/4.0.
- The applicant must submit a 200 word (or less) response to the following questions: What are your educational goals? How will this scholarship help you attain them?
- Scholarships are non-renewable but scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply every 12 months.
- Non recipients are eligible to re-apply every semester/session
- This scholarship is stackable with other awards.
One scholarship in the amount of $500 will be awarded for Fall Semester, Spring Semester (including Winter Intersession), and Summer Session.
If no award is made in any given semester, the amount of that award will be carried over to the next semester, and more than one award will be made, if possible.
The total amount awarded each year will be $1,500 or the total amount available in the fund for award that year.
Scholarship recipients will be determined by the Virgil N. Sapp Scholarship Committee, which will be constituted annually by the Dean, School of Professional and Continuing Studies. The committee will meet three times a year to award the scholarship.
Please send applications to the Dean, School of Professional & Continuing Studies at 1 University Boulevard, 121 Woods Hall, St. Louis Missouri, 63121-4400.
Questions may be addressed to the Dean’s assistant at (314) 516-5915.