HISTORY: This collection was donated to the St. Louis Mercantile Library in 2001. A Texas native, Dr. Connally began his career as a faculty member at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, in 1952. He moved to St. Louis in 1955, where he taught at Washington University; he joined the faculty at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 1957.
While a professor at Illinois, he was tapped to be an Assistant Director of the National Park Service. He came to Washington in 1967, and retired as Chief Appeals Officer of the Park Service in 1992.
During Ernest Connally's tenure with the Park Service, internal reorganizations during the Carter administration resulted in the creation of the Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service, of which Dr. Connally served as Associate director from 1978 to 1979.
The bulk of the Connally collection resides at the National Trust for Historic Presevation Library at the University of Maryland.
SCOPE: Records, clippings, correspondence and architectural drawings related to historic preservation of Ste. Genevieve, MO.
HOLDINGS: 3 boxes approximately 6 linear feet.
ACCESS: A finding aid for this collection is not yet available. Please contact the staff for information regarding this collection.